Lilypie 5th Birthday Ticker

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Because I Said So

This phrase has been quite popular with Paige since she was about 2. Sadly, at only 4 she is falling for it less and less and wants full blow explanations about why things have to be a certain way.

Take for instance our seemingly harmless trip to Wal-Mart with my mom the other day. Paige was determined to be the Devil for Halloween and this didn't sit well with my mom. Not because she felt that it was incredibly wrong for a 4 year old to be the devil, they have many cute, age appropriate costumes. No, the reason was Paige had just started pre-school at a Catholic school and my mother was horrified to think that she may show up to the class party dressed like a toddler version Jesus' rival. Paige didn't grasp the concept as to why this wasn't such a good idea and was not happy with "Because I said so" as the answer.

The two of them argued for about an hour. And by argue I do mean my mom dangled expensive costumes, one right after the other in front of her face and asked "What about this one" and then following it with some specific descriptive quality - "It's got sparkles"... to which Paige tossed out her keep phrase "No. I want to be the devil." She didn't even get angry or frustrated, which was amazing after such a long attempt by my mother, she at some point just stopped looking up all together.

Finally, after we managed to get away from the Halloween section and made it over to the toys where Paige was busy deciding which item she wanted to buy with her money, my mom tried a new tactic. She was no longer in negotiation mode, instead she picked up 2 High School Musical dress up costumes and said "Paige, pick one."

Paige thinking that she was getting an extra toy, chose the red dress worn by Gabrielle, complete with wig. After she did this my mom looked at her and said "You can not go to school as the devil, you can wear this to school and dress up as the Devil when you go out trick or treating."

"Why?" she asked

"Because I said do" my mom shot back

Paige thought on it a minute, decided she no longer cared too much about it and went back to deciding which Puppy in my Pocket kit was best. Somehow my mother managed to win a fight I would have had ending in a screaming match as I dressed the day of the party, all with 4 little words that aparently stand the test of time if you use them at the right moment.

1 comments:

Zarebski said...
This comment has been removed by the author.